When it comes to natural disasters, floods are number one. They cause more than 8 billion dollars of damage in the United States every year. No state is safe, flooding can and does happen in all 50. Florida is particularly vulnerable due to the flat terrain and its many lakes and rivers, as well as an 1100 miles coastline. Add to that more than 59 inches of rain a year, hurricanes, and tornados, and you have a high risk of flooding. At the Prestige Insurance Group in Miami, FL, we understand flooding and the importance of flood insurance.
Home insurance does not cover flooding. It would be best if you had a designated flood insurance policy. If you live in a high-risk area, your mortgage holder will require that you carry it. Even if your mortgage is paid off, flood insurance is a good idea in Florida.
Flood insurance covers damage that is a direct result of flooding. FEMA flood insurance has two parts. It has building coverage and content coverage.
Building coverage includes:
- Electrical service and wiring in your house
- Plumbing including pipes and water heater
- Heating and cooling units, ductwork and heating runs
- Appliances such as refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers, compactors and installed microwaves
- Permanently installed flooring, including carpeting, tile, wood, and laminate floors
- Built-in furniture such as bookcases and cupboards
- Clothing includes shoes, coats and other wearing apparel.
- Furniture things like dining sets, couches, chairs, beds, dressers
- Decor this includes wall decor and throw rugs.
- Electronics such as TVs and computers
- Personal items including kitchen items like dishes and pots and pans, toys for children, and baby paraphernalia
What isn’t covered is a place to stay while your home is being repaired. Check with your home insurance policy to see if it can help out with finding you a place to stay.
At Prestige Insurance Group in Miami, FL, we have a dedicated team with more than ten years of experience helping our customers get the coverage that they need. Give us a call for an appointment for a free quote.