When you own a home, you face a lot of different risks. However, your home poses a risk to other people as well. Whenever someone steps onto your property, they could get hurt. That person might sue you for compensation for their injuries.
This risk of injury to third parties makes liability coverage critical. Liability coverage can help protect you if someone is injured on your property. Coverage can often protect against unique instances of injury. Among these are the risk of pet bites.
Should your pet injure a visitor, you might have to assist that person with their treatment. If you have coverage for pet bites, your liability insurance can help you afford these costs.
Nonetheless, you should always still take steps to prevent pet-related injuries from befalling your guests in the first place.
- Remember that every pet, no matter how docile, could cause an injury to another person. Your pet shares your home, and any visitor to your home is also visiting your pet's territory.
- Keep an eye on children. A child might occasionally threaten a dog by pulling its tail. This action might hurt the dog, and it might lash out in response. Encourage guests to be friendly, loving and attentive towards your pet. If you notice a guest disturbing the pet, encourage a better form of interaction.
- Allow your guests and pets to warm up to one another. Do not force your guests to interact with pets, and do not force the pets to interact with guests. If your pet is skittish, make sure you give the pet a space away from guests.
- If you notice patterns of hostility, consider enrolling the pet in training classes. These classes can do wonders in helping a pet adapt to being around guests.
- Understand that innocent pet behaviors, such as jumping or swatting, might still injure a guest. Always respect the guest's space, and encourage the pet to play with a toy instead.
Check how your liability insurance covers pet injuries to third parties. Your policy might exclude coverage for exotic pets, for instance. However, it should cover standard house pets, such as dogs and cats.
Liability coverage also often comes with a limit as to how much it will pay. Therefore, make sure you can adequately compensate injured parties for pet damages with your existing limits.
Learn more about managing pet bite risks. Contact Prestige Insurance Group for more information.