Prestige Insurance Group, Inc.

Contact Us!
Phone: (305) 969-8745

Se Habla Espanol

Prestige Insurance Group, Inc.

Couple Having Fun While Moving

If you have an SR-22 certificate, it usually remains on your state driving record for a couple of years. However, a lot can change in your life during the SR-22 period. Changes may include moving to another town or even another state.

SR-22s verify for your state's DMV that you have an active car insurance policy. If you move, you can expect your driving record to follow you from state to state. In-state and out-of-state moves both require consideration for drivers with SR-22 certificates.

In-State Moves

If you plan to move within your current state, you'll still need to keep the SR-22 on your driving record. This means that when you move, you must take steps to update your address information on your auto insurance policy immediately. Remember, if your auto insurance ever lapses, this means your SR-22 period may have to restart. That's why it's so important that you keep your policy up-to-date.

When moving within your state, update your car insurance to make sure it covers you in your new location. Also update your driver's license, registration, title and other legal information. This can help ensure that you all your records with the state remain current.

Out-of-State Moves

Moving to another state doesn't free you from SR-22 requirements. SR-22s generally stay on your driving record regardless of which state you move to. However, the exact SR-22 impacts of a move to another state may differ.

  • Some states do not have SR-22 requirements. But if you move to a non-SR-22 state, don't assume that you are off the hook. You often have to maintain the certificate in your previous state of residence.
  • If you move to a state with SR-22 requirements, you may have to file a new SR-22 certificate in that state. However, this requirement can vary. For example, many drivers will be required to keep a SR-22 on file in their old state. However, these drivers may not have to file a certificate in their new state.

When moving to a new state, you may have to get new car insurance to cover you in that area. Take your new state's car insurance requirements into account when moving. A new policy may impact your existing SR-22 in another state. Make sure your new policy will still meet the minimum requirements of the other state's SR-22 laws. This will help you keep the SR-22 certificate active.

It is often a good idea to work with an auto insurance agent licensed in both the state you're moving from and the one you're moving to. Such an agent can help you take appropriate steps to keep your SR-22 certificates active throughout the moving process.

Get covered today. Call Prestige Insurance Group, Inc. at (888) 969-8778 for a free SR-22 insurance quote.

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013

View Mobile Version
  • Travelers
  • Progressive
  • NFIP
  • Aflac
  • Chubb
  • Firemens Fund
  • Florida Blue
  • Foremost
  • Mercury
  • Mercury
  • MetLife
  • The Hartford
  • Prudential
  • Infinity
  • Chartis
  • National General
  • Hagerty
Our Locations
© Copyright 2018. All rights reserved. Powered by Insurance Website Builder